The Schools Division of Quezon City was formally established separately and distinct from the Manila City Schools on July 25, 1950, and started with 20,593 elementary school children and 310 secondary school students, with 478 teachers manning both levels. The Division Office was then situated in the old City Hall along Highway 54 (now Epifanio de los Santos Avenue, or EDS), in Cubao, Quezon City.
The first Schools Division Superintendent, Mr. Pablo T. Reyes (1950-1959), supervised the new division consisting initially of eight public elementary schools, namely: Tandang Sora Elementary School (1922, now Placido del Mundo Elem. School); Novaliches Elem. School (1923, now Rosa L. Susano Novaliches Elem. School); Andres Bonifacio Memorial Elem. School (1927); San Francisco Elem. School (1934); Kamuning Elem. School (1939); La Loma Elem. School (1940, now Ramon Magsaysay Elem. School); Balara Elem. School (1940); and San Jose Elem. School (1946); and the lone secondary School, Quezon City High School (1947), which, after a few years, produced several annexes. These were A. Roces Annex (Don Alejandro A. Roces High School) in 1951, La Loma Annex (E. Rodriguez Jr. High School) in 1952, Cubao and Quirino District Annexes (Ramon Magsaysay High School and Quirino High School) in 1953, San Francisco del Monte Annex (San Francisco High School, later becoming Don Mariano Marcos High School in the 1970s, but then regained its former name in 1954, and Galas Annex (Carlos Albert High School) in 1955.
In four decades, the Division greatly expanded due to the steady population growth of Quezon City and the influx of home seekers from various parts of the country. By 1962, when Mr. Alfredo Andal became schools superintendent, the Division had 43 complete elementary schools (plus 53 annexes and five complete secondary schools (with 11 annexes). The enrolment rose to 58,300 elementary pupils and 8,250 high school students.
With the appointment of Mrs. Conmemoracion M. Conception to the superintendence in 1969, the Division had grown to 63 elementary schools with 92, 490 pupils, and 16 secondary schools with 33,537 students. The teaching force had increased to 2,888 elementary grades teachers and 911 high school teachers. By 1975, the public school enrolment multiplied by 26.3% to 111,372 elementary pupils and 47,799 high school students. In the same year, recognition of the Department of Education and Culture gave the Division the authority to exercise general supervision over private elementary and secondary schools in the city.
The integration of four of the former municipalities of Rizal province (Mandaluyong, Marikina, Pasig and San Juan) into the Quezon City Schools Division, also in 1975, brought the total number of public elementary schools to 139, and the high schools to 28. The school population soared to 205,607 elementary pupils with 6,579 teachers, and 77,181 high school students with 3,090 teachers. The elementary schools were grouped into 32 school districts, 19 of which were in Quezon City, three in Mandaluyong, three in Marikina, five in Pasig, and two in San Juan.
During the administration of Dr. Edna B. Azurin (1980-1989), there were a total of 142 public elementary schools: 82 in Quezon City 4 annexes 13 in Mandaluyong, 16 in Marikina, 22 in Pasig, and 9 in San Juan. The public secondary schools numbered 34: 30 in Quezon City, and one each in the four integrated, municipalities. Particularly in Dr. Azurin’s last year as Superintendent (SY1988-1989) these public schools had a combined population of 266,559 elementary pupils, taught by 7,364 teachers, and 103,863 high school students mentored by 2,742 teachers.
Dr. Azurin’s successor, Dr. Bienvenido A. Icasiono (1989-1997), saw in 1994 the separation of the integrated municipalities from the Quezon City mother division to form separate schools divisions. As a result, the division enrolment in 1994-1995 went down to 178,748 in the elementary schools and 93,979 in the secondary schools.
Years later, during the last year of the next superintendent, Dr. Aquilina S. Rivas (1997-2002) Quezon City’s public school enrolments were regaining their previous number, 237,552 in the elementary level and 119,510 in the secondary level.
A fire gutted the 5th floor of the Quezon City Hall, where the Division Office was located, on August 11, 1998. The Division was temporarily housed in one school building of Kamuning Elementary School until September 26, 2003.
The seventh schools superintendent, Dr. Victoria Q. Fuentes (2002-210), transferred the Division Office at the newly- completed four-storey edifice with a multi-purpose rooftop inside the San Francisco High School compound at Misamis Street, Bago Bantay, Quezon City. She had under her administration and supervision 97 public elementary and 46 public secondary schools in Quezon City.
Upon the retirement of Dr. Fuentes in 2010, the Division was temporarily led by two assistant superintendents as Officer-In-Charge, first, Dr. Rowena A. Cacanindin, and then Dr. Corazon C. Rubio, who eventually got the appointment as School Division Superintendent by the President in August 2011.
From an initial population of 20,593 elementary pupils and 310 high school students in 1950, the Division of Quezon City now serves a big population of 258,201 in its elementary schools and 143,462 in the elementary schools, not to the 14,741 young children enrolled in the kindergarten classes in the various public elementary schools (as of August 2007). The services of teachers in the national rolls, 5,650 elementary teachers and 3,785 high school teachers are supported and sustained by 250 contractual teachers paid by the City Government through the Special Education Fund (SEF).